Sunday, August 7, 2011

Defining Blacks

A True Afro-American

According to Webster, an Afro-American is an American of African and especially of black African descent. However, I find it immensely intriguing how the majority of people today, even blacks, develop perceptions of what it means to be a true African American based on personal interest, speech, accomplishments, up-bringing, religion, education, etc.

Throughout my journey toward success, I have observed the interactions of blacks among blacks and I would have to say, that in some instances, we treat one another worse than the stereotypical white-man would. We often hear our people voice complaints of mistreatment from other ethnic groups due to the simple phrase, Because Im black. Well, we as African Americans, often handle each other with the same disregard, Because were black.

For example, earlier this year I was walking into a restaurant to order a late lunch to go, and as soon as I walked in, I noticed I was the only customer. W hat was even more noticeable was the Hip-Hop/Rap music, with explicit lyrics, that was playing excessively loud. Behind the counter was the employee (Afro-American) bobbing and rocking to the music, looking at me like, Wuzz up, whats your order. So Im thinking, Okay, may be you should turn the music down first, so that you can hear my order. Of course that didnt happen so I politely went on with my request trying not to give too much attention to my discomfort.

Now dont get me wrong, I can appreciate some Rap; however, in the right environment and I considered this particular restaurant to be a place of business. Nevertheless, the employee (Afro-American) continues jamming and fixing my food when a young Caucasian female walks in, dressed in business attire and was obviously in a hurry. Before I could blink my eye, the employee stops in the middle of preparing my food, walks toward the back of the restaurant and turns the volume down on the radio. When the employee returns, they ask the Caucasian, in a professional manner, how may I help you? Now, you can imagine my facial expression. Yes, puzzled. Of course, I began to analyze the situation by doing an innocent comparison between the Caucasian lady and myself. We could not have been more than 5 years in age difference; she was dressed nice, yet I even had on a suit. I could not understand why this other lady was worthy of more respect, in a place of business, than I was.

Sure, some may say that the black employee could relate better to a sista like me, so just play the urban music as loud as you want. However, I deemed the environment extremely unprofessional when I entered and the employee knew it was inappropriate; otherwise, they would not have dramatically changed their disposition upon the entrance of the Caucasian lady. The only resolution I came up with was because Im black, the employee associated my perception of the music and their behavior to be acceptable beca use our skin tones were similar. Wrong. Not even from my own ethnic group do I wish to be judged because of color.

When will we get to a place in our own community where who we are as individuals take precedence over just being black? We are so quick to get angry when other races judge us, but we have continued to pass judgment on each other for years. I strongly believe in supporting our African American communities but it is not fair to criticize black people who want to move out of the rural, urban or ghetto areas for the betterment of their personal future. Some of us have become so close-minded that if we see a young African American family trying to raise children in what is considered a safer, suburban neighborhood, then here comes the second famous phrase, they are trying to be white. Maybe these people are just trying to provide a better life for their children. Also, why do I have to be considered, trying to be white because I dont speak Ebonics or be cause my vocabulary lacks certain slang and seemingly possesses the common dialogue of what is often referred to as, talking white.

Why can we not just call it proper English? Furthermore, are some African Americans really saying that our people are not worthy of speaking as if they had some form of training? Just because someone uses wrong English does not make it a black thang, its an individual thing. Our ancestors have worked hard for us to take advantage of education and I happen to have a degree in Mass Communications; therefore, I know how to adapt to my surroundings. That does not mean I am trying to be black or white but only free to be myself. For the Afro-Americans who have paved the way but have gone on, I represent them. Take it in consideration that for some of us who are hungry for knowledge and prosperity, it is not trying to be white. It is merely striving to reach the culmination of success that our African American ancestors dreamed of us achievin g one day. So blacks should not say, dont forget were you come from, if they so easily forget the reasons our great, great grandparents died, doing what they did to elevate us beyond the color of our skin.

By: Shvon Reed
Echo-Luv Enterprises

For further discussion or comments, email: shavon@shavonreed.com


Author:: Shavon Reed
Keywords:: African Americas, Racism, Culture, Black People, Slavery
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment