Monday, June 6, 2011

H. Wilson & Company A Piece of Texas History

Did you know that the first documented Texas business man was a black man named Hiram Wilson (1836 1884)?

I came across this information while seeking out possible documented history of potters from Texas. My pottery collecting, in the past, had been geared towards California Pottery mainly because of some pieces that I acquired from the mid 20th century period. My interest grew in learning more about other potters and one day I realized that since I lived in Texas there might be some history of pottery right here in my own state.

So, off I went to Google. Searching and searching for anything about Texas pottery. I was amazed ,or perhaps disappointed, that hardly any information appeared about possible Texas potters from the past. Then, I came across a document on-line that spoke of some potters with the last name of Wilsonand it appeared that they were all related.and there were so many of them brothers, cousins, uncles..perhaps?. I read on..and fina lly realized that these men with the last name of Wilson were actually enslaved by a man named John McKamie Wilson, Jr. who owned and operated a pottery making business in Guadalupe County, Texas named Guadalupe Pottery. But there was a problem. I could not find any sound information to really learn about these men and their work. Then, I found a small advertisement about a man named Richard Kinz who was the founder and organizer of the second annual Texas Collectors Pottery Show. Jackpot! I marked my calendar and off I went to Seguin, Texas to learn whatever else I could about these men. Much to my surprise, when I arrived, sitting at a table were some descendents of Hiram Wilson promoting the Wilson Pottery Foundation, a not for profit organization keeping the legacy of Hiram Wilson alive. They were selling a book about Hiram Wilsons life and I eagerly purchased a copy.

Hiram Wilson worked as a potter for John McKamie Wilson, Jr. up until he sold his pottery business to M. Durham in 1867. In 1869, Hiram Wilson began his own pottery business named H. Wilson & Company in the Capote Hills area, not far from the Guadalupe Pottery where he learned the trade.

Mr. Kinz was kind enough to even invite me back to the area and drive me to the actual site of where the kiln still exists today to take some pictures for my documentary. My plan is to feature H. Wilson & Company on the home page of my online shopping gallery that entices people to purchase decorative Art that has historical meaning or Artistic value.

Ms. Laverne Lewis Britt, the great, great granddaughter of Hiram Wilson is the author of the aforementioned book called In Praise of Hiram WilsonThe Story of a 19th Century Guadalupe County Potter. Copies can be purchased by writing to the Wilson Pottery Foundation at: P.O. Box 681802, San Antonio, TX 78268. Her book tells the in depth story of a man who owned a pottery business and later became a Reverend among many other accomplishments.

If you would like more information about how you can contribute to this foundation or want information on upcoming exhibits, please contact Alice Krueser at shop@accessoryhut.com.

Alice Krueser is the gallery owner of http://www.AccessoryHut.com the newest concept for marketing decorative Art online. There you will find home dcor with yesterdays and todays Artists in mind as well as displays of all types of Art medium in the Directory of Artists section of the site. Artists who consign their Artwork at this online shopping gallery pay no commissions to the gallery -making it easier to obtain for the budget cons cious interior designers. The site also contains Articles and many links to other sites about Art history, museums, and galleries to help educate the buyer.


Author:: Alice Krueser
Keywords:: Hiram Wilson,Wilson Pottery Foundation,Texas Pottery,Home Decor,Interior Design,Interior Decorating
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment